Movie: Extreme Job (극한직업)
Release Date: January 23, 2019
Runtime: 111 min.
Distributor: CJ Entertainment
A police undercover mission takes a delicious turn when the chicken restaurant they are using as a stakeout becomes popular because of their chicken!
Ryu Seung Ryong – Squad Chief Go
Lee Honey – Detective Jang
Jin Seon Kyu – Det. Ma
Lee Dong Hwi – Det. Young Ho
Gong Myung – Det. Jae Hoon
Shin Ha Kyun – Lee Moo Bae
Oh Jung Se – Ted Chang
Yay another Ryu Seung Ryong movie that is fun to watch! He has been a consistent box office hit year after year! I love that this movie mixed action/cop genre with a little comedy. It was too funny seeing these detectives become so busy running a fried chicken store. I actually wished that they continued the fried chicken store. I mean, Chief Go used his money to buy the place. So it just makes sense for him to continue it. He can put the wife in charge and share some of the profits to Det. Ma who invented the recipe.
All through out the show, it seemed like the team were losers but turns out they were so good at fighting! Laughed at the “zombie” monicker of Chief Go and the full fight scene with Shin Ha Kyun on the boat!
This movie is available in Netflix so try to watch this movie during the weekend! Be prepared to get hungry at seeing all the fried chicken though! Yummy!
Drama: The Fiery Priest (열혈사제)
Release Date: February 15 – April 20, 2019
Runtime: Friday & Saturday 22:00
A priest seeks answers when his old friend gets murdered by corrupt officials. His investigation leads him to team up with an apathetic police squad and an ambitious prosecutor.
Kim Nam Gil – Kim Hae Il
Kim Sung Kyun – Gu Dae Young
Honey Lee – Park Kyeong Sun
Go Joon – Hwang Cheol Bum
Geum Sae Rok – Seo Seung Ah
This is one of the best KDramas I have ever watched and it didn’t have any romance in the story! this is my first time watching Kim Nam Gil and I am impressed!
The entire cast was amazing! Each of the characters were distinct and full of life. Watching the drama, it felt like all the actors had so much fun giving it their all and it really showed on screen. I can’t even decide who is my favorite character.
- I’m leaning towards Kim Hae Il, but Phoenix Seon was so gorgeous and crazy, I loved her!
- Detective Seo was also so great as the rookie detective.
- The comedic timing of Detective Dae Yong was also on point.
- And who can forget Songsak and the chubby guy? they made quite a pair as the town misfits.
- Cutie father and the nun too!!! I cried when Cutie father got hurt and I thought he would die! and the nun as an ex-gambler was so out of character and she was badass!
- Even the “bad guys” like Hwang Cheol Bum, I can’t even hate — well partly because I find the actor so hot and also because his character may be shady but you can’t help but root for him to change. He may beat his men but he didn’t seem like the person who can murder someone or had evil intentions. and I think it’s because he still somehow has his faith and he liked the old priest. I also felt bad when also gets scolded by the four evil people and I also wished he can outsmart them and get their money.
- The hilarious Jang Ryung with his funny bob hair and awful gaudy suits. I laughed out loud when he and his men had a bad case of diarrhea. a bit childish of me to love toilet humor but that was perfectly done!
- Kim Won Hae, who is my fave supporting character, as Goyajev had a small part but he was still funny! and that fake cult leader was annoying but served his purpose. Woota!
- The evil 4- the prosecutor Kang i hated the most because he was just so bad, the lady mayor easily fold when she got blackmailed, the congressman was a loser and the chief of police was too stupid, i dont know how he became the chief in the first place
- The scarface guy and his merceneries were so bad. i hated hated them. he is the only person that I couldn’t understand his motive. why does he hate Father Kim so much? It doesn’t make sense but argh! i wanted to pull the trigger too.
The entire story was different from what I normally watch! The first couple of episodes I wasn’t sure where the story was going. I know Father Kim is going to try to find out who killed his old friend/mentor but I felt how the story later unfold was original. There were a lot of twists and turns, a lot of action and surprises that I didn’t know what to expect. The last minutes of each episode turns out to be so pivotal that I end up hitting the “next episode” button every single time. (and it made me late for work too lol).
I loved that everyone started as “sinners” – the entire police squad was so used to the corruption and felt that they can’t change it so they just became apathetic. they turn a blind eye on the wrong things and justify it with their actions. Kyeong Sun was an ambitious prosecutor who was willing to bend a few rules but still within the legal limits. She just follows what her superiors wants and does just enough on high profile cases. Songsak and chubby guy are just average people trying to go on their lives and not doing anything significant. Cutie father and the nun are too sheltered in the church and didn’t know what to do.
Then came Father Kim and their worlds were forever changed. Father Tsunami was the perfect nickname to describe how he just stormed into everyone’s lives one day and was able to slowly change their hearts. Father Kim was not a perfect guy. He is battered, bruised and doubtful in his self but he used prayer whenever he feels lost and whenever he needs encouragement. He also prayed for everyone to change hearts. Even when the scar guy got killed, he even had time to pray for him and hoping he doesn’t go to hell. What a great guy! This drama made me reflect on my life too and made me realize I should pray more and gain courage when i’m feeling down.
Overall this is indeed a very fiery kdrama! I recommended this to my friends and they also enjoyed it!